A trauma patient is someone who has suffered a major or life-threatening injury due to occurrences like a vehicle accident, gunshot wound or any fall. Traumatic injuries might affect several parts of the body involving internal organs or external injuries. In the United States, the major cause of death in young adults is trauma.
The main causes of major trauma include:
- Transport related accidents
- Being struck by an object or person
If not treated properly, they can lead to more severity and also cause the death of the patient.
To achieve the desired recovery and get possible results while decreasing the risk of the injuries, the management of trauma patients requires the best systematic approach. Injuries may affect anyone regardless of age, race or economic status. It is a fact that at their early age, more people die from violence and injuries like vehicle accidents, falls, and homicides — rather than from any other reasons such as deadly diseases (cancer, HIV, or any flu). This makes trauma injury the leading cause of death among young persons.
Can trauma-related deaths be preventable?
The majority of trauma-related deaths are mostly preventable, by giving the best trauma treatment involving: prevention of trauma, good pre and post-hospital care and proper rehabilitation. After the patient survives the initial period of trauma, special care needs to be taken to recover from the injuries with the emotional support needed to withstand the treatment period. With the advancement in the medical field and a wide range of specialist rehabilitation services as well as a huge discovery in support services, will assist with further recovery and treatment. The patient may need the care of different levels for either a short or prolonged period depending on the type of injury or disability. With the services at Charissfamily, you will be assured of the best treatment and complete recovery from trauma.
Recovery from Trauma:
An ideal environment should be the initial medicine for patient recovery. Along with it, the patient will need trained therapists who will aid with the physical, speech and respiratory therapy, occupational and recreational therapy. The treatment of patients depends on acute or prolonged physical disabilities or deficits.
The recovery program will be designed according to the patient’s needs. Depending on the type and impact of injury, recovery will help you to attain movement and strength. The most important and crucial aspect is that it will also help you to recover mentally and emotionally from the trauma you have experienced.
The recovery program will involve assistance in:
- Promoting movement, strength, and endurance
- Teaching how to take care of yourself with an injury or if any disability
- Movement using aids or wheelchairs
- Assistance in emotional and mental health difficulties
- Managing pain
- House alterations or supported living
- Providing home care services, if required
- Aiding in going back to work and any other family activities
Time is taken for recovery from an injury:
Depending on the impact and type of injury, it may take so many days to make a full recovery.
- Make sure that you must not come back to your earlier level of activity until the time you’ve completely recovered, but you must have a goal to slowly start moving the injured part of the body as you feel it is possible.
- With the help of an expert, gentle exercises will assist you to improve the impacted area’s movement. As the movement happens easily and the pain comes down, they will introduce some stretching and strengthening exercises.
- Even trying these exercises too much will delay the recovery. As per advice, begin by performing gentle and fewer repetitions of the easy exercises before slowly increasing the tempo you perform.
- For sports injuries, a sports physiotherapist or sports injury specialist will be very useful as they can design a comprehensive recovery plan and guide you about the exercises and the intensity you should perform.
Healthy Weight management:
There are huge chances that due to any surgeries or immobility, you may lose or gain weight during the process. Two major things to be taken care of healthy weight management while you are recovering are:
1. Opt for alternative methods of exercise
If the patient’s position is such that he cannot walk due to the injury it might be a great time to try alternate options with a qualified sports instructor or a physiotherapist. There are many advanced fitness options available to aid in boosting the range of motion of a joint or muscle, to help in getting the flexibility to the body in regaining strength and movement.
After the major recovery from the injury, the patient can replace the gentle movements with lower impact cardio like swimming or cycling. Being away from the regular workout would act as motivation to start with new goals in mind and increase the strength training as the patients start the regimen. But make sure that you properly speak to the doctor or physical therapist at first before starting any form of exercise to know out exactly what form of activity you can and cannot be performing with the injury that had occurred.
2. Start a new, healthy habit
Along with the exercise, it is also important to keep a healthy eating habit or a diet as the recovery process begins. Even if it is not possible to carry any physical exercises, the focus on a healthy diet will help to either lose or gain weight accordingly. Concentrate more on eating whole foods rather than processed foods as they help in the natural healing of the body.
To get access to all the services including the best trauma management, healthy weight management, and other medical facilities visit the Charissfamily clinic which is obliged to provide the top level of confidence to the patients. We believe in helping and advising the patients progress towards living a healthier life and feeling better about themselves. Charissfamily Medical Clinic & Med-Spa, Inc. is dedicated to providing passionate, patient-centric, high-quality care to everyone irrespective of age.