Choosing a pediatrician for your baby is not a straight forward task. After all, your pediatrician will have a huge part in aiding you to get your baby off to a healthy beginning and will be an association that could last for a long time. Your child’s doctor will see them develop into a blooming toddler, teenager, and into a young adult. Hence it is important to choose the best centers like Chariss family Medical Services in Lanham, MD, the US for your pediatric needs.
When should I begin my search for a doctor?
Usually, parents will decide which pediatrician they want for their baby before their delivery. They will at least start the search as soon as they conceive and be ready during their seventh month. This will allow for wise and properly informed choices. Hence it is suggested to start gathering a list of suitable doctors at least four months before the due date.
How to research a pediatrician: Searching for a right pediatrician is a tricky task, but you have to obey what your instinct says after considering all the below points:
Get references: You may ask your close friends or relatives for considering your list. Still, if you end up finding no worth, then the American Academy of Pediatrics will come to your rescue. It will provide you with the names of board-certified pediatricians in your location. You can also contact your local /county medical societies for referrals to doctors in your community who are reliable. If there is an established community hospital or medical center then contact the pediatrics department for finding the right doctors. Speak to your insurance company so that you may get a doctor in your vicinity.
Visit the clinic/hospital: After selecting the list of pediatricians, make a list of the ones that are nearby your home and visit. It is important to find a doctor who is accessible as you may have frequent visits. Take an appointment and visit the clinic for clearing all your doubts.
Now with the list of doctors, you have to speak to each one of them, know the doctor’s background and also the clinic/hospital procedures. If you feel that it is worth a visit, then fix an appointment with that doctor for meeting them and asking your queries. If there is a provision to speak to the doctor over the phone that it is very convenient for yourself.
Below are key queries to ask during this first meeting with your doctor:
- Even though this should not be of major importance but it’s important to know where did the doctor undergoes the training and education? You can also find these details on the American board of medical specialist’s directory.
- What type of appointments does the doctor provide? What is the type of appointments provided for regular visitors? How would be the admission for the child if they are hospitalized?
- Is the clinic or hospital easily accessible for you?
- Are the clinic or hospital hours appropriate for your calendar? If you are a working parent, there should be the availability of evening and weekend appointments.
- Is the doctor available on phone or is there a nurse in the clinic office who will respond for calls and follow up on appointments?
- Is the doctor practicing alone or with a group of other doctors so that they may cover-up in his absence?
- Is the doctor available at other locations if you miss appointments in his regular clinics?
- How do feel the way of communication of the doctor for his way of speaking about the specific illness of the child and his interest in children?
- Try visiting the clinic or hospital during rush hours. Are the staff and doctor handling the patients with ease and patience? Do you feel that the doctor is rushing too much to finish and go to the next patient?
- Is there a provision to make appointments in a short period? How are the regular patients handled if they require appointments to be treated on priority?
- Will the doctor explain descriptively and promptly about illness and treatments and also about all the queries that you ask? Does he speak to you patiently about the doubts you have on the diet and other concerns for your baby?
- Does the clinic or hospital accept insurance forms? What are the insurance forms accepted and does it suit you?
- What is the consultation fee of the doctor for sick appointments, routine check-ups? Do they charge the fees repeat visits within a week or earlier?
- How is the pediatrician connected to other specialist doctors for giving treatment, if the child has a complex sickness and may require special care and examinations from other specialists?
There are some other things to be looked out for that may seem weird but carry much importance for many people. Some want their pediatrician to be a female and some require doctors who have parenting experience. They respect the extra care that they can provide with their experience of being mom or dad. But even if you are uncomfortable after some time and there are unaddressed issues, and the child is not adjusted to the doctor, don’t worry to change the doctor. Baby’s health is of major importance and should be the primary point of concern and nothing else must come in priority.
In a pediatrician, you are looking for a person who is going to look after the health about your new baby, listen patiently and reply to your queries, and be available at the times of need. Therefore, it is very important to find the right person that meets the above needs and be the right doctor for your baby. Chariss Family Medical Clinic & Med-Spa, Inc. provides the best medical services in Lanham, MD, US and is devoted to delivering empathetic, and top-quality care for patients from babies throughout adulthood and you will love the response and attention we give to your family.